Friday, May 14, 2010

No dice on the bandwagon

With my dear Maple Leafs eliminated from the playoffs (yes, insert all jokes here, I've heard them all I promise) I've had many people asking who I am cheering for in the playoffs. When I respond that I am cheering for the non-Canadian teams, this often warrants me a strange look, or an accusation of being 'un-Canadian'. But let's think about this realistically:

  • Two of the three Canadian teams that made it to the playoffs are considered mortal enemies of the Leafs. So what really makes you think that I'm going to change my opinion on these teams just because it's the playoffs?
  • I'm not a fan of bandwagoners. In fact, I really really can't stand them. I prefer loyalty over cheering for any team that's winning. And although I prefer some teams over others, simply cheering for a team in a game is not considered bandwagoning - what fun is it to watch a game when you're not cheering for someone?
  • As much as I will receive backlash for this comment - I really don't think that any of the Canadian teams in the playoffs are capable of winning the Stanley Cup. Ottawa didn't have the depth in the roster, the Canucks had a clear question mark in goaltending, the same question mark they had ever since the heroics shown at the Olympics. And the Habs - well come on, you're lying if you say that you saw that coming. However, I still don't think they have what it takes to win the whole thing. I also really hope they don't in general - I won't be able to stand the obscene cheering from the hundreds of people who decided to hop that bandwagon.
So I apologize to anyone who I have offended with my so-called un-patriotic behaviour during these playoffs. Perhaps when the Leafs next make the playoffs and you're not cheering for them I will ask you the same question as to why you're not cheering for 'the Canadian teams' in the playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment